10.27.2010

In case of fire...

I know I just updated yesterday, but today was too funny to not write about.

Firstly, I decided this week is halloween week in my classes. So instead of teaching out of the book, I brought in a ton of candy and have just been playing halloween games in every class. Teaching entire classes of 36 korean children how to properly say "boo" so that they sound like a scary ghost is really quite amusing. I'm also doing this to win back the love of my 2nd graders (8th graders), who I am pretty sure hated me last week. And its working pretty well. Candy is a powerful tool. Though it also turns the kids into monsters who will stop at nothing to get more candy.

Secondly, Korean fire drills are about the most exciting thing ever. I had no idea. At the beginning of sixth hour today, one of the teachers informed me that we would be having a fire drill during that period. Two minutes later, a air raid siren began blasting through the school as everyone ran towards the front doors. First, of course, everyone had to stop to change into their outside shoes. I feel like the changing of the shoes could eventually be an issue in case of a real fire. Once I finally got outside, I wished that I had brought my camera to school today. There were three barrels that were fully on fire, as well as pink smoke everywhere. Kids were all over the place, some were even going into stores across the street from the school. Unlike at home, there are no assigned areas to go, and the teachers don't check to make sure all of their kids are present. We then watched as some of the teachers dragged a gigantic hose across the schoolyard to put out the fires in the barrels. It was a very dramatic display, and well worth my time.

And then to top the day off, i had two students, about 10 minutes apart, that were attempting to talk to me, only to end up falling face first down some stairs. In both situations, when I tried to help them and make sure they were okay, they wouldn't talk to me because they were too embarrassed. First I made the kids fall off the bike, and now I made these two fall down the stairs. I just don't know what to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home